Sunday, June 5, 2011

List Addiction

Hi, my name is Amanda, and I'm an addict. I have a list addiction. I have them everywhere; inside notebooks and notepads, jotted down on the back of junk mail envelopes, in files on the computer. Scraps of paper tucked furtively in between books on my nightstand and end tables both entice me with the promise of an organized existence and mock me with their tales of undone tasks. It's a real problem.
I'm not a "born organized" person. It's a skill that I haven't quite grasped. But I try. Really hard. Lists give me the illusion of organization. They make me feel like I've accomplished something just by writing it down. Guess what? Writing "do laundry" down on the back of an envelope does not actually get the laundry done! Who knew?!
So, once again, I've let everything at the house slide into chaos and ruin, and I must attempt to dig us back out. It's a solitary mission; until I have things under control, the family is no help. Once I've gotten everything back to normal, I can give the boys chores, but I really can't expect a kindergartener and a toddler to take on the excavation of the bedrooms and playroom, lol! Mr. Breadwinner doesn't get any chores, other than mowing the yard and other outdoor tasks. He's got his job; the house is my job.
Over the coming weeks (months) I'll be trying to get back to some sort of daily schedule, for everyone's sanity. It's always nice to know what's coming next, especially for the kiddos. Big Boy's behavior has gotten markedly worse since we've let our routines slide. Since we will soon begin homeschooling in earnest, I need to get him calm and comfortable.
Now, off to make a few lists...you know, to keep me on track...

P.S. One of my favorite websites for feeding my list addiction is Donna Young's site. It's chock-full of resources for home and homeschool organization.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great site! And I love lists...speaking of, I need to go make a to-do list for this week. Yay the illusion of productivity!

    ReplyDelete